Press Oblivion

www.PressOblivion.com
The Drawings of E.J. Morges

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Females! Yay!

I mentioned to a someone, through e-mail, the other day that I feel as though I hadn't really found my artistic style after all these years, after it was suggested that I try working in another art style to help get back in the groove of things. I find the work of other artists to be great inspiration but at the same time I am very influenced by the style of the minute. I really appreciate the skill of others and if there is something truly compelling, I like to incorporate that into the work that I do.

This is a little bit of a double edge sword becuase on one hand you are learning something new that will have an impact on the way you draw for the future. On the other hand, you may be labled a hack or a "clone" if your recipe is to close to the artist that you are trying to emulate.

That said, I feel that I have not hit my own stride yet but I really feel that I am in the "hot babe" zone. One of my most recent influences in comic book illustration is Doug Mahnke. He is everything that I aspire to be as an Illustrator, a great anatomist, a dymanic story teller, he draws rock solid males with outstanding heroic proportions and is an absolute phenom when it comes to drawing the female form. I wish the dude had a website or something like this blog to get in touch with his fans. When it comes to T&A, his work is the forst thing that I will reference. I just hope that I'm not considered to be a clone of his because though I would love to make his style my own, I really want people to look at the work that I do and associate it to my name.

Onto the drawing: I did this drawing last year as in hopes of starting a lucrative side career on ebay, selling orignal images of everyones favorite characters. Here, the theme was "cousins". Who better than two of my favorite females and two of may favorite characters all onthe same page? I thought that it was a fun idea.

This drawing seems to suffer from the same things that all of my work does and that's when the figures are finished, so is the drawing. I wanted to have some sort of environment in the picture to show the destruction brought on by the battling Superman & Hulk, while the more level headed cousins let the boys be boys, at the same time giving the viewer a little cheese cake.

I really love this drawing, I think the the chicks are hot & buff while the characters in the background add a little comic releif, a prime example of my "hot babe"zone-age. You can't really see it in the online image, but She-Hulk is looking at the viewer along with Power Girl, it was misconstrued that Jen was eyeballing Kara's cleavage when I posted this last on the DW boards. Though female on female interest is a favorite topic of mine, I can say that it was not my intention to bring that to this drawing.

So do you think that this one has the chops to score me a big sale on ebay or should I leave the dreams of copyright infringement here on the blog where it can rest in peace?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your key focus is ebay sales, I don't think potential clients would mind the lack of back grounds, particularly if it means more regular work. That said, if you ever intend to do this professionally, you probably need to learn the discipline. As you mentioned, one of Doug Mahnke's strengths is his amazing compositions. The action scenes in "X" are a great example. Fast-paced, brutal, and always clear.

Just my 2 cents!

(By the way, I'm glad you discovered the messages people have been leaving. Sometimes comments like that can be all that keeps ya going.)

May 04, 2006 12:50 AM  
Blogger martinkraft said...

like the picture a lot. esspecially the fight between the male hotshots. the girls probably have something better to do, as always. beautiful rendered females and males. keep it up.

martin

May 05, 2006 3:53 PM  
Blogger EJ Morges said...

Thanks for the great replies guys!

mr. shhh: The discipline thing is really something that I know that I have to come to terms with, having never really taken the time or made the effort to learn the traits that would make me a competative illustrator in the field. That said, I hope to find the drive one day. Perhapse tomorrow is that day?

Tourist: Thanks for the kind words Martin, I'm pleased that you liked the drawing.
I'll have another post here tonight. I', planning on making May a very busy month for this type for this weblog.

May 05, 2006 8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got the talent, that's for sure. I think it was John Romita Jr. who said the difference between an amateur and a professional is that a pro can force themselves to draw, even when they don't want to. Writers often talk about writing an hour a day. It sounds easy, but doing anything creative on a regular schedule is extemely difficult. For now, might as well have fun with it!

May 06, 2006 2:33 PM  
Blogger EJ Morges said...

Thanks mr. shhh
I want to get back to the fun of it. No pressure no stress just what ever, when ever.

Thanks again.

May 08, 2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger EJ Morges said...

Hey Eegore!
Thanks for the comment on the drawing. You make some really great points about the drawing though the muscularity issue with PG is hard to determine given the angles and amount of coverage by the cape.
Thanks for stopping in, good to hear from you!

May 09, 2006 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home