Press Oblivion

www.PressOblivion.com
The Drawings of E.J. Morges

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Lookie Lookie!




UPDATE:
I Found a copy of the color version here:
http://www.mycomicshop.com.
What's really great about this one is that I have been listed on the credits for the comic, It makes me feel like an industry player, a real mover & shaker.

Look at what I found the other day while rummaging through the Mile High Comics website!



This is my first, ever, mainstream comic! Featured here is the Ashcan Edition, released by Anubis Press in early 1994.

Cover Illustration: Hoang Nguyen.
Writer & Penciler: Me
Inks; Sal (someone)pgs 1-7 (Ruined) Jason Justice pgs. 8-22 (Awesome!)
Editor: John Burgerud

This issue was followed by a color edition as well as an Ashcan edition for the second issue (Issue 2 never saw the light of color.) I've posted a link on the navigation bar to the right for those that would like to make a purchase.

As I recall, I was told by John Burgerud, the proprietor of Anubis Press, that this Ashcan was limited to a 5000 count print run, so there aren't that many available.

This was the worst experience I have had to date with comic publishing. Shortly after my drawing appearance in Wizard Magazine,for the Cable Contest, I was getting calls from comic companies looking for me to do something here or there. I signed on with Anubis who wanted to have me do a creator owned book. I thought that it was great opportunity with the success of Image Comics fresh on the scene during that era, I thought that I couldn't lose.

I signed a contract for $300 & 100 copies for 1 comic after submitting a 7 page short story at John's request. He wanted to extend the comic to a full length feature and I remember being a little daunted having never written anything more than a High School essay at that point. This coupled with my freshman year in college and juggling art chores for an LH Art title called Abstinence I was stretching myself thin and everything around me suffered, most of all the Snake.

When the book was finally completed, John graciously informed me that he would only be able to pay me half of the contracted agreement to pay the colorist. I reluctantly agreed because I wanted to see the comic in print but I was a little disheartened at the disrespect, it's not really like I had a say in the matter, I guess that I can consider myself lucky that he even mentioned it to me.

I started work on the second issue about a month after the pages for the first comic were completed with inks & colors. The second Issue featured characters created by good friends of mine, saber (Fernando Amico) & Addax (Christian Zaffo), whom I worked into the subplot. This one saw the light of an Ashcan Edition with the cover I had drawn for the for the First issue appearing on it (the Second Issue?) and I was never paid for the work that I did for issue 2 but I have to consider myself lucky to have gotten most of my art back from Anubis.

Se La Vi

Those days are long gone and I never accomplished anything from that point to present in the comic Industry. Perhaps that will change at some point but until then, this is my only legit publishing credit. If you are interested in owning a copy, I'll warn you again that it's horrible.
Thanks
EJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home