Press Oblivion

www.PressOblivion.com
The Drawings of E.J. Morges

Friday, September 15, 2006

Spider-Man & Contra-ban



So by looking at the last couple of entries, you might now that I am part of the Digital Webbing 2006 Draw-Off tournament. This is the third installment for round 3 of the Tournament and the assignment was "The Iron Spider drinking tea", to interpreted as loosely as we saw fit.

When I first saw this theme I cringed and cured Jamal for cramping my portfolio but I think that I was able to bend the theme enough to come up with a solid entry for this round.



The idea is, since Spider-Man has a new suit gifted to him by Iron Man what if Titanium Man were to do the same for the Scorpion? If they all were to find a need to tussle, what would they tussle over? Here I thought that the do-gooders would have somehow discovered that the Titanium Man & Scorpion were smuggling high tech fire arms in crates filled with tea bags. Throw the word Boston on one of the crates and you have a little historical reference, though not a very good one. (And Yes, Spider-Man's talons appear to be coming out of his Ass. That wasn't intentional but is damned funny!)



In the vein of trying to be consistent with an image that tells a little story as well as something that is pleasing to the eye, I took the same approach with this drawing, as with the last one, that I wanted to do something that was plausible in the universe of Spider-Man. I see that there are a lot of campy entries again for this theme and no that there's anything wrong with that especially given the nature of Spider-Man, but if you want to stand out in a crowd, you have to be unique to get noticed. I hope that this is enough to get me to round 4.


I finished Round 2 on top with 73 votes putting me 29 votes ahead of the second place entry. I was very shocked at the results considering the powerful entry by Ethan Write and the heavy competition brought on by the rest of the contestants. For those of you that participated in the voting, it was a hard fought battle by all. For those of you that voted for me, I really appreciate your coming out and making a difference.

Thanks,
EJ

4 Comments:

Blogger Ron Fortier said...

Was a very well deserved victory, E.J.
You did a bang up job with this.

September 16, 2006 10:42 PM  
Blogger Tartarian wolf eagle said...

ohhh dude you rule!!!!!!!!!!

September 17, 2006 11:10 AM  
Blogger BTX said...

I love these draw offs. You really give them your all. No challenge is considered too ridiculous... or too campy! :-)

BTX

September 20, 2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger EJ Morges said...

Thanks guys,
It's not that I'm against campy stuff because I love it. I just want to be different from the crowd as much as possible, especially in a competition. I think that trying to be different and unique is what will keep me on top of the game for the duration of the tournament.
Thanks for looking,
EJ

September 23, 2006 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home